Critical Reflection

The learning journey with Professor Brad in the effective communication module has been a remarkable experience. Since the module was started, he asked to write an introduction letter including weakness and goals. At there, I set my goals to have a greater confidence, enjoy public speaking and make new friends by the end of this module. Now it has already been 13 weeks and I realize that I do improve not only my communication but also reading and technical writing skills.

During his class, I was urged to cooperate in class activities like rephrasing with citations and presenting ideas to the class. As I'm a silent person, I barely speak out loud and express my thoughts to the class but these activities encouraged me to improve on my articulation of words. One of the assignment was to write a summary and reader response of an article. As it was my first time writing an analysis, I was hesitant in my work. But with the clear feedback from Professor, I was able to carry out the task well. I think the knowledge that I have gained in this module will help me in my further studies.

During the module, we were tasked to do a group project research together with a technical report and a group presentation on the topic. My team decided to maximize the usage of fly ash in flowable fill to prolong the Palau Semakau Landfill's lifespan. Firstly, I was afraid that I might do poorly for group presentation. Once the presentation began, I used to get nervous and start to speak too quickly. But with the help from my team members and our rehearsals, I am getting better at presenting and as we did further research on the topic, I am getting more interested in the sustainable construction materials.
Based on the advice from Professor on the technical report, I understood how to identify a problem, how can I articulate with the problem, and especially, ideal, gap and goal. Although I have to work with people who have never worked together, I felt that I become more comfortable when communicating with them as the days went by. They immediately correct me if I am wrong, explain about the things that I'm not familiar with and help me out with the presentation pitch and research.  And because of the different strengths of the individual team members, we did marvelously in our presentation and report. While working with them, I'm getting to know that communicating with the colleagues was not difficult as I imagined before. But I still yet have to learn how to build an effective flow in my communication as well as how to present my ideas adequately. I felt that as a team, it is essential to communicate freely, effectively and help each other to achieve the goals.
There are much benefits from this module. But one of the biggest takeaway was the final presentation as one of my biggest weakness was presenting to the audience. Having said that, I am deeply appreciate for all the guidance and clear advice from Professor Brad.

Comments


  1. Thank you very much, ThaZin, for this highly detailed, heartfelt critical reflection.

    You provide lots of specific illustrations as you review your reaction to the work you've done during the term. I'm impressed by the learning that you mention in terms of not just writing and reading but also how you eventually overcame your shyness and became more confident and comfortable communicating while speaking in public. The proof of that was the excellent job you and your team did in the final project, and in particular, the final oral presentation.

    I appreciate the enthusiasm you have expressed in this reflection, and in class you showed consistent willingness to express yourself, invariably with a smile on your face.

    Best wishes, ThaZin, as you continue your learning journey!

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Prof,

      Thank you very much for taking your time to read my critical reflection and your compliment. I'm grateful to be in your class and the time I spent in your class was valuable and worthy for improving my creative thinking and communication skills.
      You’re such an amazing teacher and I hope you know that! Thank you!

      Warmest wishes,
      Thazin

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Letter

Annotated Summary

Summary_Reader Response Draft #2: Coal ash into concrete